At the September 27 TIPL Annual Meeting, our spiritual response to climate change session was opened with a discussion on what sets apart TIPL from other kinds of climate organizations. Because TIPL is a faith-based organization, we are encouraged to look inward to examine our self, renouncing our own faults and aligning ourselves with the good. This we must do before looking out into the world to change others.
Through TIPL we can practice beneficial ways of living within our own lives; in our interactions with other TIPL members and partners; and in how TIPL interacts with the world.
To that end, we identified the following guiding values that support and inform TIPL’s words and deeds.
- We speak truth to power.
- We believe in the power of one acting together.
- We help ourselves and others learn about what is true.
- We walk the talk.
- We have a deep and abiding gratitude.
- We support those who are making a difference.
- We know when enough is enough.
- We conserve resources.
- We minimize travel.
- We limit our carbon footprint and recompense those we have harmed through carbon offsets.
- We align ourselves with the good, which provides us with a moral compass and sense of direction.
- We determine together the best way to express our understanding of the good.
- We are inclusive of all people of faith.
- We act upon our compassion for the vulnerable and powerless.
- We know we are powerful through the spirit.
- We create opportunities for ourselves and others to do good.